Affinity Vegetarian Restaurant in Hamilton :review



Right in the downtown core of Hamilton, Ontario on John Street sits the quaint Affinity Restaurant. The humble establishment offers a peaceful and tranquil get-away from the hustle and bustle of the busy streets just outside its doors.
In this authentic Asian vegetarian-restaurant you are instantly greeted by a very friendly, knowlegable staff, who make you feel right at home in a very zen-like atmosphere. Once you are seated with your menu in hand it is time to make the tough decision, what to order? They serve a wide range of Asian cuisine including dumplings, noodles and a variety of stir fries. And they even have western-influenced foods, such as veggie burgers and meat substitutes, like chick'n nuggets, soy drumsticks and faux ham.
At a very affordable price, the most expensive item on Affinity's menu is the combination meals, which are only $15.99 (with a %10 discount for students). The combination meal comes with any main entree, like enoki mushrooms or the tofu platter. The combo comes with the soup of day. I had the pumpkin soup, which is delicious and very creamy. Then comes the platter, which is a beautiful display in a bento-style box. Each item is framed in its own compartment. You get 2 chick'n nuggets. The first time I ever tried a meat substitue was at Affinity restaurant and I must admit I was very apprehensive at first, but after the first crunchy bite, I was sold. I am told the faux meats are made out of something called seitan and TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), which is a much healthier and humane alternative to the real thing. Next in my box was a leafy salad with a delicious apple dressing. I have never been a fan of mixing sweet with salty or having fruit with dinner, but I must say it is the best salad I have ever had. Along side the salad is a scoop of wild rice. The rice offers a nice alternative to the tangy salad. Then you have your main entree. I have tried a few of these, such as the tofu stir fry (pictured below), veggie burger, dumplings and noodles, but my favourite is the enoki mushoom stir fry, which I had on my first visit. After you're finished that very filling meal, your dinner is still not complete until your very quick server brings out your tea and dessert, which are included in the combo. The dessert is a vegan jello, which means it does not contain gelatin, and is just the right amount of sweet to balance out your meal.
I would have to say the only downside to this restaurant is that they do not serve alcohol. My dinner would have been much more satisfying with a nice, cold beer to wash it down with, but that's not to say it was not a wonderful meal none-the-less. The only drinks they do offer are water and tea and I'm just not much of a tea kind of guy, however for those of you who are tea guys, Affinity offers a variety of over 50 specialty teas.
At such a low price, convenient location, and inviting environment, Affinity Vegetarian Restaurant is the perfect place for your next outting. Vegetarian or not, Affinity Restaurant offers quality, hospitality and delicious food.

No comments: